Minutes June 20, 2016

Approved Minutes

East Okoboji Lakes Improvement Corporation

Board of Directors Meeting

Monday, June 20, 2016 @7:00 PM

Board Members Present: Bill Maas, Gus Tallman, Bob Kelley, Mike Maffin, Joel Farley, Terry Wilts, Wendell Riley, Vern Schoeneman, Bonnie Simonson, Jim Blum, Steve Richards and Bev Schumann

Board Members Absent: None

Guests present: Mark Peterson and Harley Wittkobff

The meeting was called to order at 7:02 by President Bill Maas at the Orleans City Hall Council Chambers.

Adoption of Agenda

It was moved by Bob Kelley and seconded by Jim Blum to adopt the agenda with flexibility. Motion passed.

Approval of Minutes

Moved by Vern Schoeneman and seconded by Wendell Riley to approve the May 16, 2016 regular board meeting minutes. Motion passed.

Treasurer’ Report

The treasurer’s report showed an overall balance of $34725.06 as of June 20, 2016. It was noted that a donation of $2500.00 had been received from Walleye Weekend. It was moved by Terry Wilts and seconded by Mike Maffin to accept the treasurer’s report. Motion passed.

Old Business

Report on status of drainage In Spirit Lake/County

It was reported that surveyors had been seen in the area but no progress reports were available. It was also noted that it is early in the process since the study is not due until Aug. 10th but the EOLIC Board is to be contacted at the 50% planning stage for additional suggestions.

Membership Report

No report

Curley Leaf Pondweed

Bob Kelley has agreed to return the checks with a letter to donors who contributed to the chemical treatment of Curley Leaf Pondweed. The reason for returning the donations is because the permit for the chemical treatment was not granted for 2016.

The consensus of the board is to work with the DNR to encourage them to take the lead in obtaining a permit for next year. They will be encouraged to start the process early so that there will be adequate time to raise funds. Bill and Terry have agreed to discuss the matter with Mike Hawkins.

Mark Petersen was present to discuss the weed problems that we are experiencing in the lake region this year. Mark specializes in shoreline cleanup and he shared his knowledge of the problem.

Drainage Problems along 252nd Avenue (Orleans)

A silt fence has been put in place but other proposals to stop the problem have not been followed by all of the landowners. Additional actions to correct the problem will be investigated.

Radio Blurbs on KUOO

Bill will be recording a blurb for the radio station emphasizing the importance of the protective associations in the area and the Memorandum of Understanding that has been established amongst the associations.

Annual Meeting

The annual meeting will be held August 6th in the Nature Center. Vern will make arrangements for the use of the facility. Jim Blum will contact Jay Michaels to speak. The membership committee will prepare the materials for the membership drive which will include a notice of the annual meeting.

Miscellaneous

New Business

Report on DD #22

The philosophy behind this district in the beginning was to control flooding. It is believed that the philosophy of the drainage area has changed and it should be to clean up the water. More ponds will need to be established and there will need to be cooperation of land owners to accomplish this new philosophy. Testing of the area has been done to determine where most of the silting is occurring.

Harley Wittkobff was present to inform the board of meetings that he has had to discuss this problem. He outlined for the board different actions that could be taken to bring this problem to the attention of the proper authorities.

Miscellaneous

Other issues, announcements, group sharing, etc

Next Regular Meeting is scheduled for July 18, 2016 at 7:00 PM at Orleans City Hall

Adjournment

It was moved by Wendell Riley and seconded by Bonnie to adjourn the meeting at 9:15 PM. Motion passed.

Minutes submitted by Bev Schumann, Secretary

footer